Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who's Vernon Mom? It's a place, Gav.

I'm finally posting some more pictures from Jen's visit. Here the kids are outside Mt. Vernon. I had to convince Gavin that Mt. Vernon was just a place, not a person. He kept asking, "Then why are we going to see them?" My response: "It was President George Washington's House." He's answer: "See, I knew we were going to see people."
Okay then...
A lot of endangered breeds of farm animals live at Mt. Vernon. Sadly, they don't let you pet them. The kids had fun looking and in some cases bleating at the sheep.

Mt. Vernon is very hilly, and the boys took every opportunity to rest. Even if they'd only walked ten feet.


The coolest picture I've ever taken! This hawk had just launched itself out of its nest. Incredible!


We took a boat tour on the Potomac River. It was awesome and I learned so much (i.e. Did you know that walls of Fort Washington are 25 feet thick at the base and 12 feet at the top?) I won't bore you with all the details, but I loved it!!

Laynie was posing all day. On the water...


On land....
Running like a crazy person...


One quick note: If you are going to a farm don't let your children A) wear khakis and B) wear pants that are too big. You end up with dirty pants that fall down all day.

Mt. Vernon was awesome. I can't wait for my next set of visitors so I can go again!

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Cool!

Looli said...

I want to go to Mt. Vernon!!!

wendy said...

What a fun way to spend the day.
I love history things.
so WHO is Mr. Vernon????

Meghan and Randy said...

I hope you got an unlimited pass so you can go as many times as you want! Did you get to go on the National Treasure tour? Randy and I went to Mt. Vernon last weekend and they had sold out of the tour tickets within ten minutes of opening! We should all go together again and meet up- I'm curious to have lunch at the restaurant next door to Mt. Vernon!

Emma said...

I love to get out and do fun things with the kiddo's. Looks like a good time!

Grandma Edie said...

I want to see all of these places. When I think of Mt.Vernon, I remember when you (Becky) visited there a number of years ago and brought me a beautiful ornament filled with rose petals. It sits in my cureo. It is a beautiful place. Now, I will just have to make that visit.
Love,
Grandma Edie