Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sundays are Rough

Today is remarkable because of the total amount of crapiness (if it's not a word already, I'm making it one). We had to leave to drop Jamie off for his flight at 10:15, then I had to hustle to get to a Ward Council Meeting. That was not the crappy part...it comes later.

Since I don't want to dwell on the negative and perhaps build the suspense (this is where you imagine an organ playing duh, duh, duh....) I'll give you sunny spot of the day: I have great friends.

Debbie Coburn is awesome. I wish I had a picture of her to post so that everyone who doesn't know her, but may someday meet her, will recognize Debbie in the store or on the street. Then you could say to her, "Hi Debbie! I hear you are an angel!"

I dropped my kids and two car seats off at her house during a horrible rain storm this morning. She fed them lunch, managed to get the car seats installed, and then to church. Mind you, she has four children of her own to dress, feed, and seat belt. The best part is that she offered to do it. I didn't call her; she called me and offered to help.

Incredible.

I love you Debbie and am so, so, depressed that you are moving in five months!

The meeting went great. Sacrament meeting was wonderful.

Dropping Laynie off at nursery...awful. One member of the branch presidency stopped me in the hallway and said, "Is that a Wallace screaming in the nursery? Man, your kids are loud!"

Yes. Yes, they are.

Then my first day in Junior Primary. The children were darling, positively scrumptious. Except Gavin, who managed to pull my skirt down because he wouldn't let go of me. It's okay, my long shirt covered my front...My presidency, however, got a lovely shot of my rear end. I knew we would grow to become good friends, just not sure they were ready to get that close to me so quickly.

Literally had to drag a kicking and screaming Gavin to his primary class. His teacher held him down while I slammed the door and ran away. Yep, another Wallace screaming. He cried so hard for so long that it looks like he has two black eyes. Awesome.

Then came Senior Primary. I learned a good lesson today: I need to work on my older-kid-control skills. Yikes. I'm sure it will come with time. Right? It will also help when the primary is fully staffed.

So we got home. I put a show on so I could cook some dinner. Gav and Laynie didn't even make it through the previews.






All the screaming, kicking, crying totally wore them out. I nixed my "good" dinner plans and made Easy Mac and hot dogs when they woke up.
The moral of the story: Sundays are not really a day of rest. I may not have run a half-marathon today, but I'm pretty sure I'll sleep like I did. Maybe that's the kind of rest I'm supposed to get anyway.

4 comments:

wendy said...

Oh Becky what a day indeed. That picture of the kids asleep, so dang cute. They Wallace Screamed themselves right out.
"did you do some Wallace screamin?"

love ya
sorry your friend is moving
I miss your mom so much...some days I just cry, cause I love her and miss her....and that's what good friends are all about.

Meghan and Randy said...

So are you the Primary President? Yikes! That will be hard with Gavin seeing you all the time now in Primary! If I meet Debbie Coburn someday, I will definitely say that to her! Okay so being Primary President will be fun once you get the hang of it! Don't be afraid to delegate responsibilities! I don't know if you are president anyways but good luck!!

Auntie Em said...

WOW, now I know why I have a dog. She doesn't have to go to primary or other church meetings and that is why I love my nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and nephews and grand-grand-nieces and nephews.
I taught primary for about five years and there were alot of days I wanted to scream, but then I realized I was the teacher.
I know you will do great in your calling and things will get easier with age, mostly yours!Love Ya, oh, yes, the pictures were really cute. "Little Angels"

Grandma Edie said...

A first in many things can be a trial. First day as Primary President, a new ward, and not totally staffed is most definately a challenge. It would be a challenge for just one of the three mentioned. Of course with your Jamie having to be out of town and unable to be a support was somewhat more difficult. I can only imagine how frustrating it was for you, but it must have been a little bit of a challenge for Gavin and Laynie too. First, they had just gotten used to a very large ward with many children and their teachers. Second, they were in a different building.... They had been dropped off to a very sweet friend and family (thank goodness for her), everything totally out of the norm for them. Just tell the guy that said something about the "Wallace" screaming, that he hasn't heard anything until he hears the mother scream, SO BUZZ OFF.
Now, it would have been fun for "Candid Camera" to have been there to have taken a choice picture of Gavin hanging onto your skirt until your better half showed? Oh well, this is all something to laugh about.
It will all get much better. It will be so routine before you know it. Now for the Senior Primary, I know your skills and good judgement will whip them into shape. "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." Once in a while a rewarding treat does wonders....even for the leaders.
I am so proud of you Becky. I know your Bishop was inspired to call you. These calls are such a learning and growing experience for the whole family. You may experience a few more first day nightmares, but you will have had a week to remember, and no doubt contemplated some good solutions that can be a help.
Just remember all the angelic services you have done for your neighbors, and count your wonderful friend's volunteered service and help as a sweet payback for all you do. Trust me, she had some good marks placed by her name last Sunday.
I love you all. I am so proud of you Becky. It will certainly get better. You have always been able to make lemonade our of lemons.
Love,
Grandma Edie