Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hooray for the Hutch!

The China Hutch Jamie ordered for Valentine's Day finally arrived!
It is such a beautiful complement to our table, and fills up a very empty room. (So much for my great idea to leave it bare so that we don't seem like pretentious North Easterners. Teehee!)

I'm an admittedly horrible interior designer. Every wall in our Houston home was bare for three years. I like stark simplicity. But, my taste is definitely not popular.

Since moving to Virginia I've realized I also like American Colonial and British East Indies styles...Can you say completely opposite of "stark simplicity?" Thus the more "ornate" dining room set.


Since I'm terrible at design, I looked up a couple of articles about the "correct" way to organize a display cabinet. I quickly realized that I don't have enough pieces for my hutch (this is where you start crying for me, "Oh you poor dear! How can you possibly live without a complete set of China?"). I don't have the serving dishes, the platters, tea pot, gravy boat. (You say: "No gravy boat! What a travesty!").

So I had to be a little creative. On the third shelf from left to right: there is a crystal candy dish from one of Jamie's work projects (it actually says Exxon Mobil on it), then the candlesticks that I got on clearance at Pottery Barn five years ago (they're turning green) and then the ice cream dishes (the previous owners of our home left them behind).

Since my taste stinks, maybe my friends who read this far will want to vote. Does it look horrible? Can you suggest a better way to organize it?


So now you're wondering how I can possibly not have enough China. All the boxed stuff you see is my "Christmas China." My mother-in-law buys a piece for us each year. SO, by time Christmas comes my hutch will rock!



7 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

Love IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Brianne & Jarod said...

Ditto mom!

Jodi said...

Very nice!

wendy said...

Very pretty hutch.
complete china set---phewy. I like things to all look different. I collect old plates, so when I set the table for an "event' every place setting is different.
That's how I rock and roll

ETStandiford said...

Yeah well I never did the whole China thing so at least you have some to put in there!

Auntie Em said...

Becky, it is a beautiful hutch. El Centro use to have lots of beautiful hutches filled with beautiful China, now everyone has a lot less to dust. I didn't loose a hutch, didn't have one, and I didn't loose China because I use Chinette! Ha! Make sure it is not top heavy. I'm not kidding. The Easter quake did a lot of China and Crystal in. My former boss and his wife lost everybit of their China and Crystal.
It is beautiful, and the arrangement inside is very well done!

Grandma Edie said...

What a beautiful piece of furniture. Now, where on earth did you get the idea you were not a "Hutch Designer". Looked great to me. How lucky to get Christmas China. I have one set of China, it has to do for all the holidays and events. Actually, I even have a new China design called paper. Now that is called a poor designer. All kidding aside, my comment is Wow!! You will truly enjoy this lovely piece of furniture. Jamie deserves an A+ for getting it too.
Love, G. Grandma Edie