Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Moron's Guide to Deck Staining


1. Never underestimate the amount of time and the quantity of stain needed to cover a large deck. Multiply what you think it's going to take in both categories by four (not kidding).
2. One moderately-priced brush will last longer than two cheap ones.
3. If you don't want stain on it, tape it.
4. Don't try to paint a spiderweb. The spider living in the web will attack you.
5. Scrape off bird poop before you paint it.
6. You can get a sunburn even if it's only 54 degrees outside.
7. Stain will stain anything, including clothes, skin and hair.
8. If you stand still in a muddy flower bed for too long, you start to sink.
9. Your neighbors can hear you swearing.
10. Don't try to stain when your kids are around. Stain sticks to them too.
The deck is done. The giant lattice that wraps all the way around the deck will have to wait for another season. Hopefully, my "garden" will cover it all anyway. Right?

11 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

You ROCK!

simply jami said...

I am so proud of you, and yes I would have to say you do ROCK...for finishing your beautiful deck AND for making me laugh. I just wish you would have had pictures to go with each bullet point in your Moron's guide.

Heidi Hamilton said...

congrats! It looks great!
And - thanks for the tips :)

P.S. When I read your title, I read "A Mormon's guide to deck staining"
I was somewhat puzzled and definitely very curious for a moment.
Can I blame it on the pregnancy brain thing?

wendy said...

Your deck looks awesome and I love the gazebo thing.
I think I would be inclined to Stain anything that got in my way. And yes, the neighbors would hear me swear also.)#)(^^^@()

Jodi said...

Looks GREAT!
You DO rock!!

Emma said...

You did great!! Staining is a pain. We used to have some lawn furniture that had to be stained almost every year and I usually had to do all by myself, so I feel your pain!!!

Looli said...

way to go!!!

L3 said...

I'm with Heidi -- I thought I read "A Mormon's Guide..." I blamed it on MENOPAUSE brain.

Ness said...

All good things to know, just in case I decide to stain a deck or anything for that matter. It looks great though. I love that you did it and not your husband. That's how it would be at my house too!

Brianne & Jarod said...

I am soo soo impressed! That deck looks BEAUTIFUL! You are THE WOMAN! It is huge!

McCall said...

Your deck looks wonderful! Becky, you are an amazing handy-woman!!! And the guide is much appreciated :)