Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fall Fest at the Farm

Today the kids and I had our first Virginia "adventure." About three miles from our home is a 90-acre farm that's like Wheeler Farm on steroids! There are animals to milk, pet, and feed, huge slides to careen down, and a corn field to get lost in. I can honestly say we haven't had this much fun anywhere. I'll apologize in advance for all the pictures, but I had a hard time choosing!

We just missed the milking, but the real Farmer Cox let Gav feed and pet "Betsy."

When you go on adventures without Dad, there's no one to help you pose the kids. Oh well. I'm sure will go back soon!

Off to the Hay Ride!

Gavin loved it. There were a lot of hills and mud puddles for us to drive through.


Laynie was terrified by all the jostling and wouldn't leave my lap.
And I thought we'd left the Longhorns in Texas!

Poor scared baby. Didn't even want to look outside the hay cart.

These piggies were born YESTERDAY! (Loo: I got video of them nursing. It's strangely human...)

The kids would have been happy watching the pigs all day.

There are large and small slides all over the farm, some akin to the Alpine Slide. Laynie and I rode together, so we didn't get many pictures of the big ones. Plus, you had to hike up hill to get to the starting point. Lugging Laynie and the bag around was exhausting.

Pit stop.
Okay, we're good. Let's do something else!

I literally had to drag Gavin out of the goat enclosure.

No fear here. Laynie loved to let them eat out of her hands.


Gav said he wanted to live in the goat house...until I pointed out that he'd have to sleep in goat poop.

Here's one example of the slide on which Laynie and I didn't make a second (or third) run.
That is a REAL pumpkin--not painted that color.

She really wanted to take this one home, all by herself.

"I'm not a pumpkin, I'm a squash."
--The Ugly Pumpkin

It's almost one o'clock and they were still happy!

With each admission, you got to pick a pumpkin to take home. Laynie had a hard time deciding.

Gavin loaded up the stroller and drove away...with Laynie's pumpkin. Look at all the attitude in her walk. You can just hear here screaming, "Come back with my pumpkin!"

Time to kiss the pumpkins goodbye.

We'll definitely go for a second visit before the festival ends! Anyone want to come visit?

9 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

I do!

Looli said...

ahh, nursing piglets. the story of my life. :) I LOVE the 'big girl' piggies!!!! I'm making her some halloween hairbows tonight! And hopefully some silky blankies. I'll try and send it by Monday!

Meghan and Randy said...

I do! I LOVE the picture of Laynie walking with ATTITUDE. I wonder who she gets it from? ;)

Also, I love Gavin's hairdo! He looks much older with that.

Brianne & Jarod said...

Ummm..yes please! WOW! that looks like so much fun for the kiddos. Laynie is such a big girl...and her hair has changed so much! Soooo glad you have something like that so close to you!!

Emma said...

you lucky girl, i love outside fun.

Jodi said...

Looks like so much fun!!

L3 said...

I saw nursing piglets in Texas!

McCall said...

Oh, I want to come! Even before I saw the Cox farm. Looks like a great day though!

Carol Kimmons said...

There's a place just like that up the road from Cypress in Hockley. It's called the Oil Ranch. We went there once and had so much fun, and Chloe could have stayed with the goats forever too!