Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I Want to be a Missionary NOW!

Gavin was the first child in his preschool classroom this morning. I was walking out as another little boy, Donny, walked in.

Donny is the smallest kid in the class and the closest to Gavin's age. The boys have become inseparable in the two months they've been in school together. Gavin describes Donny as his "best preschool friend."

When Donny finished putting his backpack on the bottom shelf Gavin reached for his hand.

"Hi Donny," he exclaimed with four-year-old enthusiasm. "I'm going to teach about Jesus today because I love you."

Donny smiled and grasped Gavin's hand, "Okay."

And the two boys walked away.

###

I'm not sure what Gavin's motivation was for sharing his "testimony" today. When I tried to ask him after school, he avoided the question by saying, "I have blue marker on my shirt and it smells good."

Even without knowing his reason for picking Donny, or today, or those particular words, I'm in awe that I witnessed my child doing something that I've rarely done myself.

I wish I could be as uninhibited as my four-year-old son and walk up to someone and say, "I'm going to teach you about Jesus today because I love you." I know I've passed up the opportunity to show my love by sharing the gospel. Partially because I'm afraid of having something meaningful rejected or ignored, or causing offense.

But who would be offended if I prefaced my testimony with something like, "I want to tell you about something that's incredibly important to me, and I want you to know about it because I love you."

If only everything were as simple as preschool...



P.S. I think Donny's Jewish. LOL.

8 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

Love it, it made Papa smile when I read it to him.

Emma said...

what a cute kid.

L3 said...

He sounds like a great candidate to learn about Jesus!

Looli said...

what a cute little man!!

Jodi said...

Wow - I'm impressed - what a great missionary you have there!

Betsy said...

OK seriously Beck you are such a good storyteller. The whole sequencing and everything...I laughed out loud...twice. So witty! A+!

wendy said...

That is the cutest, sweetest thing ever.
Oh to be like a child

Auntie Em said...

I told this story to my ward SS class. It is a great story.