Sunday, December 6, 2009

D.C. in Review (in the Fog)

I first visited Washington D.C. on a dance tour when I was 14. It was early September, and Summer had stayed for an encore. Humidity was something you talked about in science; it wasn't something you ever experienced in Utah. It was hot, muggy, miserable. And although my second visit to our Nation's Capital occurred in late November, the miserable part was much the same. As a hostess, I prayed that the weather would be reasonable for Warden and Rick's visit. And reasonable was exactly what I got.

Even in the rain and fog, the Mall (the area where all the "monuments" are located) is something truly awe inspiring.  The National Christmas Tree might look nice in downtown Provo, but is horribly overshadowed by the sentinels of American history.
No picture of the Washington Monument does justice to its height and majesty--truly a monolith honoring the Father of our Nation.  Yet of all the monuments, it was the World War II Memorial that drew my most emotional response. 



I was amazed by the detail of the bas-relief battle scenes, the symbolisms in the fountains and sculpture.  But mostly, it was the inscriptions honoring the women who supported their families and soldiers. If you aren't familiar with the memorial, here is a brief description:

"The memorial honors the 16 million who served in the armed forces of the U.S. during World War II, the more than 400,000 who died, and the millions who supported the war effort from home. Symbolic of the defining event of the 20th Century, the memorial is a monument to the spirit, sacrifice, and commitment of the American people to the common defense of the nation and to the broader causes of peace and freedom from tyranny throughout the world. It will inspire future generations of Americans, deepening their appreciation of what the World War II generation accomplished in securing freedom and democracy. Above all, the memorial stands as an important symbol of American national unity, a timeless reminder of the moral strength and awesome power that can flow when a free people are at once united and bonded together in a common and just cause." (National World War II Memorial)



Gav thought the pillars were awesome tools to help him avoid getting his picture taken.
Laynie was a champ for the whole day. She stayed in the stroller for a total of four hours!  So even though the weather was horrible, she was a ray of sunshine for the day.

And our buddy the squirrel - who had ZERO fear of humans - ate fruit snacks that I tossed about 18 inches away from my hand.  He was great entertainment. 
Gavin referred to Lincoln as "the giant man." I think that monument made him a little nervous.

It was cold, wet and miserable, but a worthwhile experience.  I'm looking forward to doing it again some time after Christmas with the Vallett Family. I'm trying to pretend the weather will be delightful. 

3 comments:

Ardy said...

Oh we can't wait to get there!!! So excited to see the grandkids along with some Virginia's history!!!

Auntie Em said...

I loved DC when I traveled there a few years ago for an educational conference. There is the longest escelator I have ever seen there that goes down to the transit system. I had to close my eyes and hang on.

The pictures are great!

Becky Wallace said...

Thanks Em!