Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Word to your Momma!

I need to come clean about something. I never respected stay-at-home-mothers until I became one. My mom was awesome, and she did not stay at home with us. And because she is such a fantastic teacher and mother, I assumed that other women who didn't work were uneducated, unmotivated or lacked ambition. What a load of CRAP! I am educated, I am motivated, I have loads of ambition, AND I am not one-of-a-kind. Here in good ole' Cypress, Texas there is a huge group of women (both LDS and not) that have put aside one set of worthwhile desires for another set. And we are so lucky that we've had the privilege to stay at home with our kids!
However, since we've taken this opportunity we are often looked down upon by other people--people just like me pre-Gavin. And now that I don't have an awesome career to buoy my self-esteem, I realize how hurtful those misconceptions can be. Being a mom is hard work, and it is one of the least-appreciated jobs on the planet (next to teaching school, in my opinion). So, anyone who reads this is required to call or write your mom and tell her that she rocks.
Now to the on the flipside...being a mom rocks! I love being part of all the awesome things my kids do everyday. See below for more details!

Imagine me laughing hysterically...Jamie and I look over to find Laynie standing on her tip-toes searching through the toy basket in the corner. It was so funny to see her little booty up in the air!

Can you believe that my baby is already standing up on her own? She's only 8 months old.


And now we've moved from bucket head to bucket body. The smaller of the two foot buckets is pretty small. Gavin had his toes pointed to fit inside. And he refused to take it off, even though he was limping around like a peg-legged pirate. He said they were his "boots."This picture brought back a vivid memory of my baby sister. When MeMe was just a little older than Laynie, she hid from us behind the bedroom door. We searched frantically for her, till we heard her giggling. Laynie did the same thing this week. She crawled into a corner that is blocked off with a coffee table and couch to keep all the balls from rolling away. I wouldn't have been able to find her had she not been babbling.
He did that to himself! He had his face so covered that he couldn't see. My funny boy...






7 comments:

Brianne & Jarod said...

GREAT post Beck!! I KNOW that being a mom & teacher are the most under appreciated jobs in the world! The kiddles are sure up to funny things :)

Becky Wallace said...

Thanks Bri! I'm glad that somebody agrees with me.

wendy said...

I know being a stay at home mom seems "dull" and meaningless----but you will be grateful in the long run. We all KNOW you are smart, educated and beautiful and creative and funny, and on and on. See ya when you come in November eh.

Becky Wallace said...

Ahhh Wendy! How I love thee? Let me count the ways! Can't wait to see you!

simply jami said...

Seriously! The cutest kids on the planet...next to mine of course! I love those pictures! Thanks for making me laugh and for the shout out for all us stay at home mamas.

Looli said...

were those bubbles pre-pooptub? :) Just another ode to how hard/disgusting/mortifying/rewarding being a mom is! Gavin needs to come over to our house...we have a REAL 'worker man' hat...Brandon did the refinery tour and he got to keep the hard hat.

Bonnie Mills said...

Awesome post, Becky! I feel totally the same way, I had a working mom, but still thought she was amazing! I've never been able to completely understand why people look down on stay at home moms, when everyone knows taking care of kids is probably the most difficult job in the world, but also the most rewarding!!! Love that there are women out there like me! Thanks.