Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Snake Skin is IN!

Yes, my son is holding up a four-foot-long piece of snake skin. We found it on our walk this morning. I saw it dangling from some rose bushes on Loudoun County Parkway and thought it would be a great "science subject." I intended to show it to the kids, talk to them about how and why snakes shed and then leave it behind. Ummm....no. It had to come home with us.
I stowed it in the stroller basket and tried not to look at it. Every time the wind blew it wiggled and I could just imagine it coming alive and hissing at me. Anyone want to guess what my nightmares will be full of tonight?

Gavin is 42 inches tall. The snake skin is longer than that and the head (with it's nasty inside out eye scale) had at least another six inches attached to it. Sorry. I couldn't bear to pick it up and bring it home. I'm a good mom, but not that good.
What would you do if you saw that monster in your yard? I can tell you right now that I would never, ever garden again. Ever.
The skin is rolled up neatly in the garage. It will stay there until my husband gets home and figures out what he wants to do with it. I personally don't want it in the house, but I usually don't get my way.
At least Gavin has something awesome to take for his "S" show-and-tell. Right?

5 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

I have have the heeby geebies right now!

Diana said...

maybe Jamie will tack it above Gavin's bed right over the Iron Man bedspread. Ha!

Ardy said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you didn't see the snake that it belonged too!! I'm surprised you touched it Bec! You rock!

Grandma Edie said...

Snakes are one of my worst nightmares. Then to think that my Great Grandson could hold up that four foot skin sends chills up my spin. However, I would have been more unnerved if it had been wiggleing. What a brave little boy and mom. I am sure the lesson is one that such things are not touched if it is coiled up looks alive and sticking its tongue at you. Foolish comment. We all know there would have been a mile of dust between the snake, stroller, and two children. This will be a great "show and tell" at school.

Emma said...

SNAKES>....yikes I hate them. I remember the dirt hills, and my brothers scaring me with the snakes!!!!Good job Becky.