Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Fruits of our Labor

Can you handle it if I boast for a minute about something other than my children?
Look what I grew in our garden!

On Sunday Jamie went out to check, and sure enough we had strawberries ready to harvest!

I bundled up the kids (I know, harvesting fruit in winter coats is a pretty ridiculous concept), but then I realized it was colder inside the house than it was outside.


The kids didn't complain, they thought picking strawberries was awesome.
I felt so domestic that I ALMOST made strawberry jam. Then I realized that it had been 12+ years since I've done anything jam-related.
So we ate them for breakfast. Yum!

5 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

Wow! Those look delicious! Good job!

Brianne & Jarod said...

Yum! I just made freezer jam today!

Jodi said...

Yummy - congratulations!!

wendy said...

good idea --eat them fresh.
go buy jam at Costco. good enough

I am jealous that you have "harvest".

Grandma Edie said...

Those strawberries look better than you said on the phone. The nice things about your harvest is they are ready to eat with a little wash job and maybe a dash of sugar. As you harvest more, freezing is easy and to heck with the jam, sticky pans, splashed bubbles on the stove, etc. I agree with Wendy, just go buy a few bottles of jam and enjoy the fresh strawberries as they are harvested.
By the way Bec, what can't you do???
Love,
Grandma Edie