Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hello Fairfax!

I'm a positive person. My mom and grandma even call me PollyAnna.


Putting the spoon-full-of-sugar perspective aside, this post is going to be realistic. I'm a journalist at heart, and I hope this review of our living situation will be a "fair and balanced."



1. Anything is a toy.
Jamie didn't want me to pack any toys for our one-month stay in temporary housing. Seriously. I did manage to convince him that for me to remain somewhat sane, the kids would need some things to play with--trucks, play dough, crayons, etc. Maybe I shouldn't have wasted my breath. So far the kids' favorite playthings have been empty luggage and closets.


2. TV time is underrated.


I have no car. We went to the park and the pool yesterday. Because I couldn't manage to carry the 34 pound stroller and 20 pound Laynie down the 8 cement steps that lead to our "town home," I made the kids walk.


Walking never hurt anyone. Unless there are swarms of biting flies (SNAP! I traded in fire ants for horse flies. Not an improvement).


Laynie got two bites on her elbow yesterday. I know they are hard to see, but both are quarter-size. Gavin got one on his back and calf and refused to go back outside today. Our conversation this morning went like this: "Hey Gav, do you want to go to the park or the pool today?"


"I don't want to go outside."


"Really, why? You love to go outside."


"Bugs eat me...let's just watch Nemo."


I'll try again after naptime. Maybe he'll eventually get stir crazy.


Did I mention that it poured on us on our way back from the pool and Laynie got a huge blister on her foot from all the walking? I totally rock as a mom.


3. Virginia is...Formal.


I don't want to use the word pretentious because I'm not sure the people here are snooty by nature. It's just that you can't go to the store in comfy black shorts and a t-shirt without looking like you belong with the "Walmart Crowd." Not that I have anything against those folks. I shopped among them weekly while living in Texas. But it's one thing to shop at Walmart and another to look like you belong there. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, just take a peek at the Walmart Bingo card I've pasted below).



Sadly, I am guilty of at least one of the offenses on the Card. Laynie wouldn't have gotten a blister on her foot if she'd wear shoes a little more often.


I guess I'll have to throw on my jeans (gasp!) and some jewelry to go to the grocery store. I don't even want to think about how many times each week I'm going to have to blow dry my hair.


4. It doesn't matter where you live.




This is our little town home. It's old as the hills (that's a little West Virginia saying for ya'), but clean. It's got two bedrooms. Gav and Laynie are sharing a room for the first time. They are both sleeping okay at night, but Gav is napping in my room. He can't get Laynie out of the pack-and-play, so he climbs in it. If I wasn't afraid that Laynie would fall out, or that Gavin would smother her on accident, I'd just let them sleep in the queen together. Laynie loves the "big bed." She's having a little morning nap there now.


Even though they push each other's buttons on occasion, they are such cute friends. Yesterday Gavin was "reading" to Laynie. And she was sitting still and listening!


Obviously this living situation isn't ideal, but we are together. We could live in the pit of despair and would still manage to have some fun. It doesn't really matter where you live as long as you love the people you live with...and use your imagination to have fun!

7 comments:

Ness said...

That's awesome. I love that you can see the bright side of life. How crazy is it that you moved across the country and are still happy.
And I have done a few of the items on the Walmart bingo myself. Oh well.

Looli said...

Oh, NO! More 'formal' than Texas! I felt so underdressed all the time here, after living in the land of jammies to the store kind of people (Utah). And when I went back to UT this summer, my sister kept telling me I was 'so dressed up!' HA! At heart, I'm a baggy t-shirt and ratty jeans kind of girl. But now I get told by a certain 6 year old that it is "embarrassing!"

S. Fantasia said...

LOL. Dev and I played that bingo card one time. It's amazing how many of those things you really do see.

Way to look on the bright side and I hope you get to live in your new house soon. :o)

Brianne & Jarod said...

Way to already update the blog lady! I for one love to read the realistic posts...and hope to do one soon of the "green yogurt on the brand new carpet incident.." Nice thing about having to do your hair is that you won't have to fight the humidity all the time, right? I still think that I would just go in my basketball clothes!:)

Emma said...

Love you thanks for sharing!

L3 said...

YOU are a ROCK STAR. As a veteran of the moving wars, I feel your pain. You are doing GREAT -- if you don't land on your feet, you'll never get standing upright again.
Remember: you speak the language and have the right currency -- how hard can it be?!?!?

Becky Wallace said...

Laura, thanks for making me laugh...The currency here is LOTS. And I will never have enough.