Thursday, April 16, 2009

Time to Dye

I come from a family devoted to tradition. One of the things I haven't let die (even though my husband totally doesn't get it) is our annual Easter Egg Dye and Paint Night. I have so many great memories of time spent with my family sitting around the kitchen counter waiting for our eggs to turn the perfect Robin's Egg Blue or Spring Green, spilling dye (trying to hide it from Mom), and eating tons of deviled eggs and egg salad sandwiches. Dying the eggs was really a great excuse for us to sit (which we never did much of), laugh and talk. I don't remember which one of my siblings is the most perfect dyer, but I will never forget the time we spent together.

For the past couple of years I've invited my nieces and nephews to participate in our tradition. Gavin and Bay really enjoyed it this year, as I bought special glitter egg "paint" they could put on the already colored eggs.


Poor Busted Benz! He stuck on a few stickers on and plastered a little paint, but it's never fun to do anything artsy fartsy with your arm in a sling. He did have a fun time sitting on the firetruck...until he'll fell off.
Laynie and Brynn both had eggs with their names drawn on, but we didn't get any pictures of them participating. Laynie kept trying to grab the containers, and I couldn't manage the camera and her at the time.

I hope she won't mind. I can guarantee there will always be next year.

2 comments:

Emma said...

fun. your a good mommy!

The Morris Family said...

What a great tradition!
I also love coloring eggs, even when my kids were babies, I would color eggs with them (or with them sleeping by me).