Saturday, November 15, 2008

This Week's Highlights

I had sort of a crazy week and didn't get many pictures taken. No pictures, no blog. I guess I could spend the time to write quips about my life and kids, but it's sort of like a book without illustration. And that's not nearly as much fun. But some good things did happen this week that I want to jot down for posterity (and for anyone who cares to read more than this paragraph).

5. Mission Accomplished!

You know that never-ending checklist of things you are always trying to get done? Well, I did most of mine this week. That might not be a highlight to anyone else but having the bathrooms, kitchen, living room, kids rooms and bed linens all clean on the same day is a HUGE deal to me! But it only lasted about 12 hours. So definitely no pictures of my formerly clean house.

4. Winter Blues (and Pinks and Purples)

We busted out the winter clothes today! Check out Laynie in her full-body sweater. I love winter wear but hate cold weather. Go figure.


3. Pampered Princess

On Fridays we usually go to the park. Yesterday I asked Gavin what he wanted to do and was pleasantly surprised by his answer. "Mom, I want to play in my room." He reached up and grabbed my hand, "Please come play in my room with me." So we did.

He had his own idea of what he wanted to do. Rather than playing blocks or building train sets, we spread his animals out all over the floor and gave them names. He didn't like any of my suggestions. They were all named Barkley, except one little dog that looks like my parents dog. His name was Bubba.

When we finished naming the animals he informed me it was time to take a nap. "Gav, it's only 10:30. It's too early to take a nap."

"No Mom!" He began emphatically. "It's time for YOU to take a nap." Then he took the blankets off his bed and began to "buckle" me in - instead of "tuck." Before long, I was bundled tightly under two baby blankets and had a pink pig for a pillow.

"Relax and go to sleep," he'd say every time I'd open my eyes.

He laughed hysterically at my fake snores and tucked my blankets back in every time I came "unbuckled." It was one of those sweet times with your children that you know are unlikely to happen again, but that you never want to forget.

2. Croc Wrestling

On Thursday I had two of Gavin's friends, Hannah and Landon, over for few hours. We had a blast! We painted and made super cute "hats." The kids had a blast and I did not have a panic attack. Although I always come close to hyperventilating when we do art projects in my house. Poor Gavin has a litany of rules memorized that he reviewed with his friends before the painting began. (Stifling my child's creativity vs. Saving my sanity. You decide what's more important).





When it was time for everyone to go, I see Gavin and Landon full-on wrestling for a blue croc. Gavin is a little older and a lot bigger than his pint-sized playmate, but Landon totally had the upper hand. I guess that is the blessing of having older siblings? Anyway, they both have a pair of blue crocs and Landon had mistakenly grabbed Gav's shoe, thus the melee. (Not that Landon couldn't fit both of his fit in one of Gavin's Sasquatch shoes. The kid is up to size 10 already, and he won't turn three for a couple more weeks!)

They both laughed and hugged when we got to the shoes all sorted out.

1. "Mom, I pee peed on the woman."

My friend Jami and I went out to lunch this week. While I was still chowing, Gavin decided he needed to go to the bathroom. Jami was kind (and brave) enough to take both our boys potty.

"So, that was an interesting experience." Jami said when she returned to our table. "So Gavin was hurrying a little and didn't aim..."

"Oh no!" I interrupted, "Did he get it on his clothes?"

"Not exactly..."

Gav didn't aim at all. He was standing off to one side, overshot the whole toilet, and left a puddle on the feet of the woman in the next stall.

Instead of being classy and trying to find the woman to apologize (or something), I burst into hysterical laughter. By time I got out to my car and retold the story to my brother, I was crying and laughing.

And every time I tell the story, Gav looks at me with a confused face and says, "Mom, I pee peed on the woman?"

2 comments:

simply jami said...

Yes, Gav, you peed on the woman!!! I didn't know what to do besides apologize to the nice footed lady and occupy you and Landon in the stall until she was long gone. We had a good laugh after she left though. It's a good thing I love you so!

p.s. give your mom a shout out for getting all her to-dos done! Wahoo!

wendy said...

That sounds just like a Vallett story --If your mother had of been there it would have been chaotic. She LOVES to laugh about things like that.