Sunday, June 13, 2010

Not Your Typical Anniversary Celebration

Jamie and I are anniversary-challenged. Did we go out to dinner and a movie? No. Did we escape for a romantic weekend together? No. Did we walk a mile to Panera, have breakfast as a family and then visit the Safety Center Open House? Yes.

Even after six years of marriage, my husband and I have been unable to reconcile our differences on what should occur for an anniversary celebration. Given that we've both been spastically busy the last few weeks, I didn't even try to argue for anything fancier. Sometimes the stress of going somewhere, makes the destination undesirable.

The Fire Station was a total delight. Gavin and Laynie had a blast, received free child ID cards, and got fire man hats and sheriff badges. Their happiness made me realize that an anniversary isn't JUST about the day Jamie and I got married...it's really about the day we became the Wallace Family. So we had a Family Anniversary day. I hope we do it again soon.


Laynie was so little that she couldn't stay on her feet in the bounce house.

She doesn't look very scared, does she?


Two great stories for the day: 1) The officer with the Harley is none other than Deputy Sheriff Dufek. The very man who gave me my first ticket two weeks ago. I asked Gavin if he wanted to have a picture taken with the motorcylce cop. I mean, how cool would it be to sit on a Harley, right? His response, "No way! That's the cop that busted my mom!"
2) Behind DS Dufek is the Loudoun County Mobile Command Unit. They use it to run SWAT ops. Gavin's question for the police officer who was giving the tour: "Where do you keep your rockets?" The cop first looked shocked and then responded with a laugh, "We don't have any in here today."

Our little Fire Station even has their own HAZMAT truck. I'm pretty sure it will never see anything akin to the spills Houston deals with on a daily basis.

Yep, that's my baby using the fire hose to put out a "simulated" fire. She's pretty tough for a tiny little creature.

Gavin was pretty hands on. He wanted to do it "all by himself." Can you even imagine what Gavin would do if they actually let him hold that hose by himself? All I can say is run, Laynie, run.

We did drive out to the Leseberg Outlet Malls and pick up a couple of new ties for Jamie. Then we grabbed some Arby's on the way home. Nothing like roast beef "toots" to top off the perfect anniversary celebration.

It may not have been romantic, but at least it was memorable.

10 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

Happy Anniversary! When you come to Houston we will watch the kids so you guys can get away together.

Emma said...

You are so cute!!!

Brianne & Jarod said...

You make me laugh lady! And I like the positive spin on the whole matter!

Jodi said...

Sounds and looks like fun!

wendy said...

That was a sweet thought that it was the beginning of the Wallace Family.
BUT ------Jamie needs to focus on "romantic" for YOU
Yeah, you birthed those babies, he had the fun of making them
Tell him "more fun" needs more romance.

cute photos!!!

wendy said...

wait a minute -- you got a ticket? by officer Dufass (or whatever)

Becky Wallace said...

SERIOUSLY!! My first ticket! And I was on my way to a stake primary meeting. No good deed goes unpunished.

Meghan and Randy said...

Haha "No good dead goes unpunished." Funny. Happy Anniversary! Randy and I are happy to watch the kiddos for you guys sometime! Love you guys! And Laynie acts large for her size- cute!

Natalie said...

Becky,
So funny, our anniversary was on Tuesday night. I had a Relief Society meeting. Doug got leftover brownies for his anniversary. Glad I found your blog.
Natalie

Grandma Edie said...

Happy Anniversay to you both. How quickly time flys. Tired or not, you both need some time together - ALONE...even if it a dinner and movie or a ride. The little ones needs to see the importance of the love mom and dad share, and even though they are a special part of the family, you two need a break away even for a short couple of hours. Romance even needs refueling. Take the offer from Olivia and break away for a short time in Houston.
Loved your outings. Cute, but classic comment by Gavin on "... No, he busted my mom". The firestation looked like fun with a lot of water.
It is great to see all the memories you provide the childrenn.
Love, Grandma Edie