Friday, August 13, 2010

Gavin's One Liners

Gavin is the definition of juxtaposition. One moment he's wild, running through the house like his clothes are on fire. The next, he's sitting quietly reading a story to himself.

He loves to antagonize Laynie. Gav's become a master at making her scream without laying a finger on her. Sometimes he'll sneak up behind her and growl in her ear. Or reach out like he's going to take her toy, but stop a centimeter before actually touching it. Fifty times each day I have to say, "Gavin! If you're making her scream you're doing something wrong." I'll probably be deaf before I'm 35 because her shriek is so shrill and piercing.

Gavin's also her greatest defender. You mess with his sister and you are dead meat. He comforts her when she sad or hurt, and loves to recruit her for his "armies." The moments they play together nicely are delightful.

Today, Gavin alternated between sitting in time out and making me laugh hysterically.

The Taylor Swift CD was playing. The lyrics to "You Belong to Me" rip on the Cheer Captain. Gavin's listening quietly and then he says, "Mom, how come everyone hates the cheer captain?"

I reply, "I don't know sweetie."

He grins mischievously, "Weren't you the cheer captain?"

"Yes." I'm suddenly concerned where this conversation is going.

"Well, that's why you have no friends." He pointed it out like it was as obvious as gravity. I didn't even bother telling him that I do have friends...just not many in Virginia.

At bed time, we're snuggling. He smiles kindly, "Mom, you're breath really stinks." Love you to Gav.

As I'm giving him a good night hug, he quoted one of our favorite books Runaway Mummy. It's a parody of Runaway Bunny. He mimicked the lilt of my voice perfectly, "You can let go now, Mommy."

No Gav, I don't think I will.

I'm grateful for a little boy who keeps me on my toes. Sometimes I want to pull my hair out and scream in frustration, but I live for the moments when he wants to climb on my lap and cuddle.

Being a mom is awesome.

8 comments:

Olivia Wallace said...

Tears and more tears...

Emma said...

So true... Kids say and do the funniest things.

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan and Randy said...

I'm looking forward to that time myself! Yikes. I'll be calling you for advice and help! :)

Becky Wallace said...

You're almost there Meghan! Wahoo!!

wendy said...

YES being a mom IS awesome.
being a grandma is AWESOME.ER. (new word)

Emmas daughter Olivia knows almost all the words to You Belong To Me.
we sing it at the top of our lungs.

sorry you have no friends (tee,hee)
you have ME
we all belong to each other in some way

Stacy said...

So, what am I chopped liver? I guess just telling you we are BFF's is not enough. I am going to start hanging around your house to prove my awesomeness and handsomeness. I am not sure if those are spelled correctly or even real words. But I heard them in Kung Fu Panda.

Becky Wallace said...

Stacy!! We are so BFFS, for like ever and ever. Even though you like to leave me for extended periods of time.