Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen!

Tomorrow Gavin's class is celebrating his birthday. Because it's a private preschool (that doesn't mean it's fancy, that just means it's not state-run) kids are allowed to bring homemade goodies. Gavin decided he wanted chocolate cupcakes with white frosting and Rocket from Little Einsteins on top. I couldn't find Rocket, so we agreed on Spider Man.

Gavin and Laynie were great helpers. Gavin poured the mix, Laynie added the water, they both helped with the eggs (not as big of a disaster as you would think). Then they put the cupcake liners in.

They watched patiently as the cupcakes rose--which lasted all of 30 seconds. Not the rising part, but their attention spans.


Then we made homemade frosting, and I let the kids "help" frost a couple cupcakes. That was a bigger disaster than the eggs.

Gavin did a really good job...except that he had to keep adding frosting because there wasn't enough on his spoon. Mostly because he ate it all before it ever got to the cupcake.

Here is the finished product. They turned out pretty cute if you ask me...I'm not a professional, but I try hard.

Then we got a new place to eat them!

Like that actually happened! I didn't let the kids anywhere near the new table with nasty, sticky frosting hands.
I'm really pleased with how well the table fills the space and complements the floor. I can't wait to have some people over so we can actually use it! Guess, I'll have to take the tags off then. :(

8 comments:

Jen said...

the cupcakes are adorable...quite impressive! And I LOVE the dining room table! It's awesome :) Definitely a great choice!!

Meghan and Randy said...

Becky, I love the table! It looks great and in good shape. Cupcakes looks yummy! How did his class like them?

L3 said...

Glad everyone is feeling better. I love the color of the dining room walls - did you paint them, and if so, what brand & color?

Looli said...

luhuvvve it...cute cupcakes and gorgeous table!!! Can't believe how OLD Gav looks!! *sniff*

Emma said...

the cupcakes are so cute, I love my little helpers in the kitchen.

Wow your table is so pretty!!!

wendy said...

what a gorgeous dinning room table set. It is beautiful.

it is worth the mess and the hassle to give the kids good memories of helping mom in the kitchen

Jodi said...

I'm glad to see your kids are feeling better.
Love the dining room table and the color on the walls - VERY nice!

McCall said...

Your new table is beautiful. Hope you get to enjoy it for Thanksgiving! Have a great one!